Hints & Tips for Your Move
Use our handy guide to ensure a move that is a trouble-free and
painless as possible:
- Ensure that mirrors and pictures are placed in a safe area, but
can be readily seen.
- Keep all essentials in a single container marked "DO NOT
REMOVE" (i.e. cheque book, passport, documents for the house purchase,
keys for the new owner, maps, food for the day, and of course, the kettle and
- If you are packing yourself, ensure you load the cartons to a
level in which the top can be sealed.
- Make sure all cartons containing fragile items are clearly marked
so all crew members are aware of the contents.
- Run down food stocks and make a few trips to the dump prior to
your move day.
On the day
- Try to ensure that parking is available for the removal van(s) at
both load and unload addresses.
- Keep all passage-ways and staircases clear of boxes.
- Advise the foreman on arrival of any items you wish the crew to
take particular care with (i.e. furniture with loose joints or legs).
- Arrange for appliances such as washing machines, dishwashers and
cookers to be disconnected.
- Try to place pets with friends or neighbours and not lock them in
a room where noise and movement will agitate and over excite them.
- Keep all children out of the way when the men are carrying goods
out to the van and never allow them onto the back of the van.
- Be careful if transporting your own valuables or breakable items
on car seats. Remember, a moment's in-attention can mean disaster.
- Contact our office if you are going to arrive late at your new
home or encounter some unforeseen problems on the journey. Take the mobile
number of the foreman and keep it with you.
Remember to notify the following of your change of address and
- Banks, Credit Card & Finance companies
- Inland Revenue
- Insurance companies: Home, Car & Health
- DVLA and Motoring organisations
- Telephone/Internet providers
- Cable/Satellite TV suppliers
- Utilities suppliers: Water Board, Gas, Electric.
- Friends and Neighbours
- Your GP (and make new arrangements, if necessary)
- Any Schools or Colleges that your children may attend.
- Also remember to cancel or return papers, library books, milk
delivery, videos/games, borrowed items.
And finally, remember to allow plenty of time for goodbyes to
|Branches at Sutton & Bromley
15 Audley Place
Sutton SM2 6RW
54 Wellhouse Road
Beckenham BR3 3JR